Monday, March 19, 2012

Country Style Meat-n-Beans

    Today I'm going to share a recipe.  Gasp!  It's not gourmet, but it's cheap and easy.  I know someone who reads this will appreciate it.
    It was a staple in our home when I was growing up.  My momma calls it "Country Style Meat-n-Beans."  Once, in an attempt to make it sound more appealing to a young boy she was babysitting, she called it "Cowboy Beans."  While my boys eat it well enough, they could always use some extra incentive.  They care nothing for cowboys, but both are on a Star Wars kick so I'm considering calling it "Light Force Tauntaun-n-Legumes."  I'll tell them it's what gave Yoda and Luke Skywalker their powers while living in the creepy swamp.  Hopefully they'll scarf it down and then I can sit back and giggle at them trying to use the force to move the entertainment center.  Or even better, maybe they can try to move the toys in their room from the floor to the toy box!  And we all know Luke Skywalker would never give up, so it'll get done one way or the other.  Clean their room, they will!  So good, I am!

Here's what you need:
1 lb of Hamburger Meat
1 T. of Onion (I used minced or chopped onion from a jar)
1 Bell Pepper finely chopped
1 t. of Salt
1/8 t. of Worcestershire Sauce (I just give the bottle several shakes into the mix)
2- 15oz. cans of Ranch Style Beans
2 cans of Water

    Brown your meat with bell pepper and onion.  Drain the grease.  Now add salt and worcestershire sauce and cook for approximately two minutes.  Add beans and water.  Bring to a boil.  Then turn down the heat and let simmer until blended and almost dry.  Serve over rice.  (We enjoy crackers with it, as well.)

     It really is super easy and cheap!  You can't go wrong with meat and beans.  Haven't you heard the song.....
"Beans, beans, a musical fruit.
The more you eat'em, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So eat your beans at every meal!"

There's also the verse about how "they're good for your heart," but my mother would die if I recited it.

P.S.
Working, my plan is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I appreciate your comments.