Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Candy & Chaos

    Halloween has come and gone.  I got to celebrate with Darth Vader and Spiderman.

    Once again I had set myself up for disappointment.  Okay that's a bit harsh.  Let's just say.....my boys kept it real.  They fought over who was gonna ring the doorbell.  By fought I mean knock down drag outs in the doorway of several homes.  Thankfully I was able to pull them apart just before the homeowner opened the door.  We would all smile and say "trick or treat" as if nothing had just happened.  The lovely homeowner would gush over how adorable my Darth Vader and Spiderman were.  They would give each of the boys a few pieces of candy, and then.......(sigh)......Wesley would dive in and try to grab a fist full of candy and shove it into his bucket before I could stop him.  The young homeowners laughed and gave him more, commenting on how cute he was or how Spiderman must love candy.  The older homeowners gasped and looked at me like I was a terrible parent who must not teach her children to have manners.  I wanted to scream, "He's TWO!  Give me a break!  You have no idea what this kid is capable of, and I have to deal with it on a daily basis!"  Instead I forced a smile and secretly wished Wesley would sneak one more handful from the crabby old goats.
    We were nearing the end of our one hour trek and things were steadily going downhill.  Darth Vader was having wardrobe malfunctions.  We kept accidentally stepping on his cape and pulling it off.  He decided he didn't want it anymore only to change his mind seconds before the homeowners opened the door which caused me to make a mad dash to solve this "crisis"  he felt he was enduring.  Then he didn't want his mask.  Then he did.  Then he was having cramps in his feet.  Then he was tired and he wanted to go home.  Then he wanted to stop at one more house, where he burst into tears the moment the man opened the door.  The poor homeowner who was dressed as himself said, "I'm sorry.  I didn't think I was that scary."  Oh Ian....  Meanwhile Spiderman was  constantly trying to sneak candy out of his bucket between houses.  I had to keep wrestling it away from him.  He was screeching and screaming, "No, it my canny!  I eat it!"  What a sight we were.  A sobbing half dressed leader of the dark side, and an insect mutant super hero wrestling candy from a pedestrian.  Ahhh...my life.
    Something told us we'd be coming home early, so we made sure we were prepared.  We'd bought two large bags of candy (the good kind) to pass out once we got home.  I think we had maybe five trick or treaters total.  We gave each one handfuls of the stuff, but we were still left with half of it.  Between the leftovers from what we'd bought and the boys take home loot, we are left with two ginormous bowls of sugary goodness.
 My hips are growing just while looking at this picture.  How will I ever be able to fight the urge to grab a piece (or two) (or three) when passing by?  Jesus, give me strength!  And the desire to start exercising! 

May the force be with you,
Darth Vader's Mom

1 comment:

  1. haha this made me laugh!! we had the same "candy grabber" in our trick or treat fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I appreciate your comments.